Welcome to one of the largest dating services on the internet! Match is responsible for more dates, relationships, and marriages than almost any other dating site in the world, a reputation they’ve lived up to since launching in 1995. Match now serves singles in 25 countries and hosts websites in 15 different languages (8 on mobile), giving them one of the largest member bases of any dating service.
To get a feel for how dating on Match.com works, new users can sign up for a free account. Only paid members have access to the full range of Match features, but free members can create a profile, conduct searches, post photos, and like profiles. If you’re struck with writer’s block, Match offers a Profile Pro service that provides dating experts to review your profile, edit the text so it puts your best foot forward, and offer online dating advice.
After subscribing, members have unlimited access to Match.com’s complete functionality. As a paid user, you can view all photos posted on other profiles, send and receive unlimited emails, and see who has viewed your profile. Many other premium add-ons – like the Email Read Notification service that allows you to see who has opened and read your emails – are also available for purchase.
Online Dating on the Go with Match.com
Match.com mobile applications are free to download for iOS, Apple Watch, Android, and Android Wear. The apps put Match.com’s full capabilities in the palm of your hand. The start screen offers a summary of your account’s activity, a newsfeed which includes any new messages, likes, and views your profile has had. Searches can be conducted on the Discover tab by all filters available in the desktop version. You can also browse by Daily Matches, Mutual Match, and Reverse Match.
If you are interested in someone, you can send an email, like their profile or add them as a favorite within the app. Paid members can keep track of all interactions in one place using the Likes tab. Anyone you interact with in any way is added as a Connection to help you easily keep track of how recently you’ve been in contact and the last action taken. Push notifications guarantee all members, paid or free, never miss a potential connection.
When you’re ready to connect on a deeper level, premium members can use the matchPhone service to help protect their privacy. matchPhone allows you to talk or text on your cell phone anonymously by generating a new, unique phone number that is forwarded right to your phone. Your auto-generated matchPhone number is the only number that will appear on the other member’s Caller ID.
Match.com also makes an effort to take its exceptional matchmaking offline. Use Match Events to find a hosted dating event with other singles in your area. Match Events run anywhere from 2-2.5 hours and are held at bars, restaurants, and lounges. Guests mix and mingle while enjoying drink specials and complimentary appetizers.
Put desktop, mobile, and in-person together, and you get a company that fully deserves its reputation as one of the best dating services in the world.
Match Profiles and Sign Up Process
Match can be accessed from their dating apps found on the Apple App store and Google Play (for phones and tablets) along with their website at Match.com. Tablets get dedicated apps which take advantage of the larger screen. The Match dating service is also compatible with Android Wearables. Features for watches include voice commands and pulse notifications.
Match has 2 membership types which are “Members” (the free option) and “Subscribers”. For subscribers there are two plan types, “Standard” and “Premium”. Please note that prices for subscriptions and paid features can change based on time (e.g. near holidays) and location.
- Search for matches
- Receive daily matches
- Create a profile and appear in search results
- Post a photo
- Send likes
- Includes all free features plus
- Send email messages
- See and respond to email messages from other subscribers
- See who’s viewed you and liked you
- Remove members from your search view
- Priority access to Match Events
- Includes all Standard plan features plus
- Email Read Notification
- One Profile Review per Year – Custom feedback about your profile from Match’s Dating Experts
- Monthly Boost
- Discounts on Match Events
With subscriptions all are automatically renew until cancelled. Match.com website and Match dating apps accepts most major credit cards and PayPal.
Searching and Matching on Match
To search for members on Match you need to visit the “Discover” menu. From here you can perform several different types of search including:
- Your basic search which includes gender, age range, and location
- Filters based on your predefined preferences are including by default along with only profiles with photos and members who are online now
- Can add as many filters as you like which includes most parts of the profile including interests, ethnicity, education, kids, etc…
- Any filter can be updated, expanded on, or removed
- Can add any keywords to your search as well
- Refine and sort results by various filters including activity date, newest, age, photo count, distance, etc…
- Searches can be named and saved to make it easy to use next time
- Shows Match members with whom are near your location or you have crossed paths with at some point recently
- Available only on phone apps
- Use to be called “Missed Connections”
- Based on what you say in your profile, you are looking for someone like them and they are looking for someone like you
- Available only on the website
- These matches are looking for someone like you based on what you say about yourself in your profile
- These matches may not exactly meet your matching preferences
- Available only on the website
- Lists all the searches you have saved
- Clicking on a named search will rerun the search and return the results
- Results will be updated to include any new members. Members not found any more have most likely have met someone and left the service
- Return all matches based on the first name you type in
Some search features can only be used on certain devices. All search types (except Near By) return matches in a photo gallery format 3 photos wide for the Match.com website and 2 photos wide for the dating apps. The photos display the member name, along with a green icon indicating if they are online or not. Their age and city are also displayed. From the search you can click on the photo to visit the members profile. You also have the option to Like them directly by clicking on the heart or send them a message. Scrolling down shows more matches. All search types can be sorted but you can only apply additional filters to the basic search.
There is a paid feature called “Boost” that will place your profile near the top of other members search results for 1 hour at a time.
You can access your Matches through the menu bar on the app or the website. These are daily matches that refresh every 24 hours and only after you have reviewed and liked or passed your current matches.
To determine your matches several sets of algorithms are used. These use information from your preferences and on your ratings of the matches Match has sent you before. If you like a match, Match will send an introduction email letting them know you are interested and they have caught your attention. The more you use the Daily Matches the more Match will learn from your choices and continue to serve you better matches. Matches that are highlighted are “Singled Out” matches and are determined to be by the algorithm to be a particularly good match.
Match Viewing and Communication Features
Please note some features and tools are only available on certain devices:
What’s New Newsfeed
- The “What’s New” tab can be found on the homepage of the app or website
- It is a quick view of the most recent activities and notifications on your account including new messages, Likes and matchPhone call requests
- View all their public profile information and their matching preferences
- Website version does also show a matching percentage
- View their photos and read any descriptions they have of them
- Request a call or text using matchPhone
- Go in or out of Private Mode (so the member doesn’t know you viewed their profile)
- Send a message (start a conversation)
- Favorite the member
- Share Profile – Send a link of the profile to your email account
- Report – Send a message to Match that the profile contains misleading or incorrect information, or that the member is misbehaving
- Hide from Search – Hide the profile from all future searches
- Block – Block all communication from this member
This is a communication tool that allows users to keep selected friends and family members informed while they’re on a date
- The Date Check-In icon located in the upper right corner of each Match conversation. Opt in and add up to three names and phone numbers of trusted contacts (they must agree to participate)
- Your trusted contacts will receive automatic updates via text message each time you schedule a date. This message includes the day, time and location of the date, as well as the name of the match you’ll be meeting
- During the date you’ll receive a text during your date to check on how things are going. If all is well, ignore the message. If you feel uncomfortable, reply YES and Date Check-In will instantly notify your chosen contacts
Attend in-person singles events around the United States! Events are customized through the Match matching algorithms in terms of age, gender, and interests:
- Current and past events include: photography classes, flying lessons, happy hours, cooking classes, wine & tequila tastings, bowling nights, dance lessons
- Found from the “Events” main menu on the website and under the Profiles menu on the app
A team of expert Dating Coaches available for one on one phone sessions who will consult with users for guidance with online dating and relationships. Found under the “Talk to a coach” option under the “Discover” tab of the app
- After the phone call, members can choose to remain in contact with their coach through the app to ask further questions or provide progress updates.
- AskMatch is available only in certain markets (fees may apply)
Match.com has a lot of safety and interactive features that makes it a fun app not just for dating, but for making platonic connections as well. Let’s take a look at some of its strongest points:
- Easy to sign up and interface is simple to use. Everything makes sense and is not confusing
- Very large and well-respected online dating service
- Ability to remove singles from your search results
- Ability to find out when your match reads the email you sent them with Email Read Notification
- Many add-ons available to enhance your experience and tailor it to your unique needs
- Access the Match service from Android and iOS apps or use their website
On the flip side, there are also a few ways that Match.com can improve the experience:
- Only members who subscribe can send and reply to messages
- Online ads will display for members who are not paid subscribers
- It has been reported that Match sometimes accidentally blocks real members thinking they are fake profiles
In all, “Match” is one of the oldest running online dating services and is busting with features. It’s a great tool for singles looking for a relationship who are aged 30 and higher. Hookups possible if you and your match agree, but this one is more for people who are looking for long-term relationships.